WELCOME TO THE ARCHIVES

This site contains the archives of my travel blogs from 2010-2016.

I'm now blogging via Medium. For other life updates, including opportunities or requests to collaborate, visit my personal website.

.

.

.

Sunday, April 04, 2010

Once upon a balmy evening...

Last night Jon and Kelsey and I drove down south of Franklin to the middle of nowhere, put out a tarp and blankets, and just laid out under the stars.  We talked and talked for at least an hour or two, argued about constellations, and marveled at how we'll be able to see the Milky Way from Joshua Tree, CA when we stop there this summer during the course of our road trip.  At one point I thought, "How nice it would be to just back up a few decades when people did stuff like this every night instead of sitting in front of TVs." Of course, I changed my mind when Jon pulled out his iPhone and pulled up some real-time star charts to settle our dispute over the location of the Big Dipper.  "Okay, I thought, I'm going to work hard to garner the best of both worlds:  iPhones and Blackberries and iPads and GPSs are great, but I'm going to get out and make sure I'm enjoying all the other less-connected activities in life.....even if I'm enjoying music from my iPod during the hike :)




It really was a most enjoyable evening.  We started out by spontaneously driving to historic downtown Franklin, looking forward to strolling the shop-lined streets in the balmy seventy-five degree weather.  Stopped at Chick-fil-A along the way -- the first time for both Kelsey and I.  I was overjoyed to find out they have a delicious gluten-free menu!


I forgot how nice it is to just hop in the car and drive....we rolled past big churches, surveyed the mansions that line Franklin Road, and had a very analytical conversation comparing grass and land plots of California, Oregon, Tennessee, and Pennsylvania.  The beautiful sunset off to our right made the drive that much more magical.   


Jon took some pictures downtown, I think.  I'd like to share them with you.  More on that to come...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog content © 2015 Shirah Eden Foy. Powered by Blogger.