WELCOME TO THE ARCHIVES

This site contains the archives of my travel blogs from 2010-2016.

I'm now blogging via Medium. For other life updates, including opportunities or requests to collaborate, visit my personal website.

.

.

.

Monday, January 24, 2011

Amsterdam & The Hague

I could spend hours telling you about how beautiful this city is, but I'll just let the photos speak for themselves...


Outside the university in Nijmegen. This is the Belmont Bikes program on steroids.

View from the window of our hosts' apartment. Amsterdam is a city below sea level and is thus a maze of bridges, canals, and tiny alleyways -- and a sprinkling of cyclists, of course!


Hadrien's friends, who graciously let us lay sleeping bags down on their floors for the night, are Belgian girls studying abroad in Amsterdam.  They live on the same street as Anne Frank's house, in fact just one canal away.  I was intrigued when I heard that, but a little disappointed when we walked by because it seemed so museum-ish.  But I snapped a shot for you anyways.

Just a few blocks from the Anne Frank house, we came across this hotel.  My comment to Hadrien: "The big hearts inside of Jewish stars hung along the facades must be good for business: There have to be a lot of Jewish tourists who come to see the Anne Frank museum!"

Look at the unique design of each roof-top!

The Van Gogh Museum -- definitely one of the many highlights of the day!!  I just love Van Gogh's work, and this museum displays not just his pieces, but also pieces from other artists who were influential to Van Gogh's artistic development.  Van Gogh really was quite an interesting character; although best known for his bright colours and streaky style, he experimented with a great number of different styles and mediums. 


Morning in Amsterdam.
I think this is one of my favourite photos I've ever taken.

Laura, Natalia, Hadrien, Maëlle, Me
At the train station

This is a very special picture I took for my littlest brother, Raam.
In Dutch, this means "Raamstreet!"
It was dark and we were quite lost at this point, when all the sudden I looked up and - TA DA! - Raamstraat. It must have been a divine appointment. ;)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog content © 2015 Shirah Eden Foy. Powered by Blogger.